Saturday, July 26, 2008

A new first for JONNY!

Photobucket

Since my last blog was filled with a laundry list of firsts for Landon here in Ohio, I absolutely couldn't resist adding this exciting first for Jonathon!

Last night, he was a little restless (he's not used to so much time to relax, the workaholic that he is), so he decided to go take a walk around the pond at dusk. Since I'm easily able to relax, I opted to stay inside. He was outside no more than 30 seconds before he comes running back in, more excited than a kid at Christmas. I asked him what was making him so excited, and he eagerly explained that he had never seen lightning bugs before! FIREFLIES, of all things! It tickled my heart to see him so excited over something that was so small (to me anyway, I grew up catching them, and sadly smearing them on trees with my brother so they'd glow).

So as not to waste the moment, I ran inside, got us all the supplies we'd need for a nighttime lightning bug safari: Mason Jar with tin foil lid (with plenty of air holes, of course), flashlight, and a big knife for protection (those deer, raccoons and skunks can be dangerous, ya know). We set out, and were successful! We caught 3, with only one accidental casualty in my hands. We, of course, let the other 2 captives go free after Jon was satisfied with watching them light up for awhile!

Here's my firefly catcher extraordinaire:
Photobucket


After that adventure, we decided to start a fire, and roast some s'mores. We had a ball, and it was definitely a fire that could have NEVER been made in Utah, because we had no fire pit and made it directly on the grass. A blessing of humidity and rain, because there's no worry of it spreading. Jon lived up to his Eagle Scout roots, and made a great fire!

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

3 comments:

camille said...

That made me laugh! Jon is so funny! I had never seen firefly's before until I went on my heritage tours trip back in high school. (I think we were in Missori). It's funny that I reacted in the same way as Jon did. We spent hours outside one night catching them. I wish we had them in Utah! Looks like you guys are having a blast. MMMmmm SmOrEs. Me have some too?

I Choose Happiness said...

Jonathon, I'm totally with you on this one. I totally FREAKED out when I saw my first firefly. Those things are so cool - I had no idea. If only those were the only bugs that had me freaking out (and the other ones aren't a "cool" freak out). Oh well, gotta love the South and its wildlife!

Dayne Godbold Family said...

Can't wait to show Dayne fireflies. I wonder if he'll get excited too. There are a ton of things I can't wait to show Dayne. It's so fun to go somewhere different than this dry western desert.